Audio/Visual Technician (Kona, Maui)
What are we looking for?
A bad-ass Installer/Service Technician
Where are we located?
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii and Kahului, Maui, Hawaii
Who would you report to?
Tyler, our Project Manager. He loves hiring and working with bad-asses.
What kind of job is this?
Full-time...and then some. What can we say, we’re a growing company and have more on our plate than we can currently handle!
Answering these questions can help you know if you’re a good potential fit for us:
- Are you a natural craftsman?
- Do you possess a fanatical attention to detail and neatness?
- When you connect a computer or entertainment system, do you by nature make sure all the wires are labeled and organized?
- Do you love keeping up with the latest consumer technology and constantly learning about the next “cool thing?”
- Are you just as comfortable pulling wire through unfinished construction as you are hanging a $15K TV?
- Do you relish the moment when you power up a home theater and test the volume of the surround sound?
*If you answered most of these questions with a resounding yes, consider joining our team.
Who are we?
Remember the cartoon The Jetsons, as a kid? Or, how about the movie, Iron Man?
Both shows have a key commonality: they showcased really bad-ass homes that were souped up with the kind of technology that would blow your mind if that technology actually existed in real life.
Well, what was fiction is rapidly becoming real life. Consumer technology and smart home systems are evolving at a rapid pace, which means homes being built or renovated today and in the coming years are going to look more and more like those homes in the movies.
At Control Freaks Hawaii, we set out 17 years ago with a clear mission- to provide each and every one of our clients with a simple, reliable system and unparalleled customer service. We are incredibly passionate about one thing: Simplicity. . . when it comes to our systems, that is. We’ve spent years refining our team and processes to be able to provide home technology and automation that is both simple and reliable.
What would a typical day look like?
As an Installer/Service Technician at our company, you’ll spend your time working in homes and businesses to install and integrate the latest in A/V and other automation technology.
Here’s how a typical week might look:
- On Monday, you might find yourself pulling wire at a residential home under construction;
- On Tuesday, you may be putting the finishing touches on a rack;
- On Wednesdays, we all fly to Vegas together and hit the casinos. (just kidding; we just wanted to make sure you’re still paying attention)
- You may end your week on Friday doing a few onsite visits to provide troubleshooting for existing client systems that couldn’t be resolved remotely.
At a more granular level, your days will consist of the following:
- Installation of audio/visual, basic networking, and automation equipment in residential, commercial, and retail locations
- Running low-voltage wiring during construction and after
- Trenching and conduit installation
- Interpreting engineering schematics
- Terminating head-end system components
- Understanding installation interfaces between control systems and subsystems
- Troubleshooting of audio, visual, and automation equipment.
Whether you’re doing installation or service, you’ll provide detailed documentation of your work so that anyone on the team can pick up where you left off.
If we’re lucky, your daily work will be planned and structured. However, priorities can shift at a moment’s notice. You must be comfortable with shifting focus and willing to be an active participant in juggling multiple demands.
When the client is ready to use their technology for the first time, you’ll train them and answer all their questions. You will always be expected to treat our clients and your colleagues with patience and friendliness no matter how big or small their issue. Client service is something we hold sacred at our company so it is of the utmost importance that you be willing and able to serve as a helping hand for our clients in their moment of need.
What should you bring to the table?
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in low-voltage, especially AV & custom installation.
- Knowledge of residential systems integration including audio/video, Control4 Systems, Lutron Lighting & Shade systems, Electrical Systems, and IT and Networking Systems
- An understanding of signal flows and control systems for distributed audio, video, and home theater systems and the ability to diagnose and troubleshoot problems
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, electronic schematics, and user manuals
- Understanding of construction techniques, system design and principles behind wiring
- Ability to lift up to 75 lbs.
- Reliable transportation and clean driving record
- A high level of emotional intelligence
- A professional appearance at all times
- Excellent communication skills - both verbal and written.
- Resourceful and willing to patiently work through challenging situations
- Dedicated to details and follow-through
- Ambition to strive for 100% client satisfaction at all times
What do we bring to the table?
- Base salary: $25-40/hour commensurate with experience
- Health benefits (we don’t charge the 1.5% medical deduction);
- Vision and Dental Insurance;
- Paid Time Off (vacation and sick time);
- 9 Major Holidays off;
- Paid training and schooling (where applicable);
- Life Insurance benefits;
- Employee discounts on equipment/retail purchases for personal use;
- An amazing team you’ll soon call family!
- Oh, and did we mention our kick-ass Christmas party?!
- Do you believe there’s always room for improvement? We are always in pursuit of perfection when it comes to the client experience.
- Do you believe in a culture of service? We pride ourselves on the level of service we provide and insist that every member of our team puts client service first and foremost.
- Are you happy to lend a helping hand? Service can be a thankless business - your drive to help needs to come from within.
- Are you frequently putting yourself in others’ shoes? We believe empathy and understanding are key to all phases of the client relationship.
- Can you keep a secret? Good, because our clients’ privacy is a top priority.
- Do you read from the teleprompter or do you write your own script? We’re not afraid to challenge the status quo and blaze our own trail.
- Do you pick up the ball that someone else may have dropped? We’re looking for people that own the company goals beyond just doing their job.
- Are you OK with making a mistake? We are too, as long as we learn from them and don’t repeat.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $25.00 - $40.00 per hour